Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I am proud to be an American..


Dear Family and Friends,

Today I forced my kids to watch the Inauguration. As each former President, Supreme Court Justice, or other walked out, I would point to them tell my daughter their name and if I could tell her what stage of my life I was in. I remember sitting in a classroom, hearing our teachers discuss Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. I remembered the day Sandra Day O'Connor retired. I remember President George H.W. Bush declaring war on Iraq, I was at my friend, Kim's , discussing what that meant in 8Th grade. As I watched this change tears came to my eyes, cause this man - Barack Obama - holds part of my family's future in his hands. Not just mine but every Americans. This is a very pivotal point in time, where other countries around the global community will decide were we, Americans stand. Lots of countries have used us as a benchmark, for good or for bad.

I don't know if the new President will bring the change that he speaks of domestically or internationally. I know that I want him to bring my nephew home from Afghanistan, even before he deploys. I think my nephew has served our Country and deserves time to enjoy the freedoms he has literally fought for. I want a better education for my daughters. I wish that everyone would be able to live apart of the American dream with their slice of apple pie.

Who knows if that America existence anymore. But I want it back and I want it bad. Maybe I am nostalgic, but I know I have never once been ashamed to be an American, irregardless of who are president was or how inappropriate he may have behaved.

On this point I do agree with President Obama:

"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and begin the work of remaking America."

President Obama- May God bless you in all you do as you guide this country. Please be what you said. Be the change this country needs to get back on it's course.

Love,
Christensen Family

No comments:

Post a Comment